The Flag of the State of Connecticut consists of a white baroque shield with three grapevines (each bearing three bunches of purple grapes)
on a field of azure blue. The banner below the shield reads "Qui Transtulit Sustinet," ("He who transplanted still sustains"), the state's motto.
The Connecticut General Assembly approved the flag in 1897.
The design comes from the seal of Saybrook Colony when it was established in 1639. That seal depicted 15 grapevines and a hand in the upper
left corner with a scroll reading "Sustinet qui transtulit". When Connecticut Colony bought Saybrook in 1644, the seal transferred to them.
On October 25, 1711, the governor and legislature changed the seal. They reduced the number of grapevines from 15 to three, in order to
represent the three oldest settlements (Windsor, Wethersfield, and Hartford) (or perhaps the three separate settlements- Connecticut Colony,
Saybrook Colony, and New Haven Colony- that by 1711 were absorbed into Connecticut) and rearranged the wording and position of the motto.